Belgium General Information, Facts and Figures About Belgium

The Transition From Conventional To Robotic Milking

Facts About Belgium / July 29, 2020

Planning your work and working your plan are crucial processes that ensure the shift from conventional to robotic milk is a success. Carrying out this process methodically as well as consistently is necessary. The prevention of unwanted situations is important. This prevents people and cows from experiencing negative effects. This superb technology can be enjoyed when its features and advantages are taken advantage of. The transition phase isn't all the same. It varies from every dairy.

New automatic milking systems make up almost 60 per cent of all installations. The remaining 40 per cent are retrofitted implying that the environment doesn't change before and after commencing. Both situations are unique, thereby requiring different transition management approaches.

During the transition phase, new facilities possess a greater influence on the herd. This is mainly because of changes in the environment. One great approach to making the transition phase easier for the animals is by milking them in the conventional parlour. But, the housing of the animals will be within the new facilities.

From every perspective, cows should enjoy a gradual transition. This ensures they blend in smoothly. Retrofitted installations don't severely impact the behaviour of cows and milk production. They ensure that the stress levels of cows are kept in check after startup. Three phases make up the transition period including 6 months prior to startup, startup and 6 months following the startup.

This article will take a look at the first phase within this period: 6 months prior to startup. From all angles, this is the most crucial phase. Here, all plans and approaches must be laid out. Regrettably, this phase is often overlooked. Undue stress will occur when his crucial step is disregarded. Decisions that are required as well as important details shouldn't be underestimated. This may cause a delayed transition.

It is clear that additional skills are needed in herd management and technology now that the world is transitioning into robotics. Realising the strengths and weaknesses of the management team is important to get ourselves ready for the new hurdle.

You may be set for this journey if you are using the herd management software. However, if you have little or no knowledge of computing, consider taking some computer classes. This doesn't imply that you have to become a computer expert. It means that you should learn computer basics. Time and practice will ensure you gain relevant experience. Farmers that develop an interest in robotics usually visit and tour diaries. Building a peer network is critical for you to find out how successful robotic milking is. This can help you forecast your success.

There are lots of traditional learning avenues such as attending meetings or reading materials. Still, there are more innovative education streams, including virtual libraries, webinars and social media. Always employ several learning approaches as well as having sit-downs with the whole farm team members that include external advisers.

Udder health, udder conformation, and feet as well as legs, are the three main components that should be considered when choosing cows to be used for robotic milking. Every second is valuable when it comes to robotic milking. These seconds may impact the system's performance and cow health depending on how the attachment is done. It should be done quickly and accurately.

Always avoid cows with rear-crossed teats. Instead, go for those with centrally placed ones. There will be a positive effect on cow longevity if a balance is made between the udder cleft and teat placement. Once you have established a definitive team of cows for this process, make sure they are pathogen-free. Regrettably, dynamic and group management don't allow for the separation of infected cows. This implies that they aren't up for consideration in robotic milking systems, as in conventional milking systems. It is highly advised that cows are monitored individually. Still, bulk tank cultures should be done monthly. Fullwood Packo are a fantastic and reliable company to buy any automatic milking equipment that you may need.

Image by かねのり 三浦 from Pixabay