The ONE Youth Ambassador programme is entering its fourth year in Belgium, and we’re looking for passionate campaigners to join us for 2017. Next year presents a great opportunity to garner support from politicians across Europe for key issues such as protecting aid budgets, improving financial transparency, and increasing investment in the fight against HIV/AIDS and the fight for girls’ education.
Youth Ambassadors will become leaders for the ONE Campaign in their communities and beyond, and will carry out a variety of creative and innovative actions in support of our advocacy work.
The voluntary programme will run throughout 2017, and each Ambassador will receive training, access to high profile events, in-depth policy briefings as well as dedicated support from ONE’s campaigns team. This role is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to become more engaged in international development or who wants to develop their skills in creating change. It’s your chance to truly define yourself as a ONE campaigner.
This ambassadorship is not a full-time or paid role. It is a volunteer role that should not take more than a few hours of your time every week. There will be monthly meetings, a launch event, a pan-European summit and a close out event which you are expected to attend.
Ambassadors will have access to a range of campaign and advocacy tools and products, and will receive support to design and develop their own action plans. Ambassadors will be expected to deliver a range of actions including but not limited to:
What we are looking for
Ambassadors will have:
- A passion for the eradication of extreme poverty and an interest in international issues
- Great communication and teamwork skills
- Willingness to attend a programme induction and training in person in Brussels in March
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and great people skills
- Ability to encourage and support others
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to organise own workload efficiently
- Ideally some experience of working with young people in schools or through youth groups
- A good level of written and spoken English
- Age requirement: between 18-35 years of age but we encourage young-minded +35ers to apply
- Only applicants living in Belgium will be considered
What we offer
In addition to the many benefits and rewards that come with working in development, we will offer:
- A clear set of objectives and deliverables with a written summary of achievements awarded on completion of the programme
- Regular online and offline training in areas including campaigning, advocacy, and media
- Being part of a group of 50 Youth Ambassadors in Brussels from all over Europe and Belgium and a Europe-wide network of over 300 young activists
- The opportunity to attend exciting events, including a Europe-wide event for all 2017 Youth Ambassadors
- Fantastic incentives for campaign achievements
- Reimbursement of reasonable expenses when on duty (please note that this is a volunteer position)
About the ONE Campaign
ONE is a grassroots advocacy and campaigning organisation with more than 7.5 million members worldwide that fights extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We raise public awareness and pressurise political leaders to support smart and effective policies and programmes that are saving lives, helping to put children in school and improving futures. We hold world leaders to account for the commitments they’ve made to fight extreme poverty, and we campaign for better development policies and more effective aid. We also support greater democracy, accountability and transparency to ensure policies to beat poverty are implemented effectively. ONE is not a grant-making organisation and we do not solicit funding from the general public.